Parent Category: Phillips and Monks
John Stevenson, the other son of Joseph Stevenson, was born in 1729, and for many years made his home in Cumberland county, Penn., where he was married, first to a Miss Mitchell, by which union he had two sons, named Joseph and George. His second wife was Jean McCombs, and their children were Mary, Robert, John, James, Margaret, Elizabeth, Jane and Anne. In 1781 he removed to Somerset township, Washington Co., Penn., and settled on a tract of land bought from Philip Whitten, containing 320 acres. He lived on the part of the farm now owned by Samuel B. Weir. Afterward selling this farm, he purchased the tract of land now owned by Andrew McCarrell, and the heirs of Hon. Thomas McCarrell in Mt. Pleasant township, this county. Having divided this farm among his children, he removed to one he owned near Cross Creek village, and which is now in the possession of Hon. J. S. Duncan and John S. Lee. He died at the age of ninety years, and is buried in the cemetery at Cross Creek village, where his second wife is also buried, having departed this life at the age of eighty-six years.